The Gift





            He had not gone out for a lunch-break because he had been waiting for her telephone call. He was sitting in front of the computer and though he had a pile of work to do, the man was smirking while imagining her reaction of the surprise which he had prepared for her. He had put the flash drive into the computer, his email was open, and he was only waiting for her to call him.
            He was happy to know her. She was an incredible person; such he had never met before and he liked observing people and knew his estimate was real. They had established a common ground in a big number of topics, they had gotten to know each other in a large degree and they had helped to each other not only once. He felt flattered that she had let him enter her world that seemed not to have many people been allowed to: probably just a few were able to realize its beauty. And it was colorful and refined, full of different, motley people, each of them with their own dreams, problems and pains; of people who walked together but being a scream match because did not hear from each other; of people who had been arguing stubbornly for weeks about if the zero was nothing; of such who had been discovering the inner beauty of the rest at some fancy-dress-ball or sunk in some card-game to folly in order to rediscover the friendship; some of them risked everything and let their hairs down, exhausted of questions; others were running to the moon frantically by the music of a fiddle that was their anguish, or were playing chess with their pet of boredom... She had been thought the magic of the Ursa Major by an old woman, the hope which the constellation had been hiding and devoting and she had never forgotten about it since then...
            The man was smiling and waiting for the call which – he was sure about that – was about to follow. She was far and he could not gift her for her birthday and he had been wondering for a long time what to do in order to surprise her; she deserved it. Actually, it seemed to him that whatever he would do, she would always deserve something more.
            The idea that had come to his mind was good, he found it fresh and hoped he would make her happy in this way. “After all, if we, people, do not delight each other, even in this modest way, what’s the reason to live this life for?” – he was thinking and that was why he had gotten into its realization.
            “Wow, it’s a wonderful bouquet, thank you, I have not expected it” – he could feel the smile in her voice.
            He immediately sent her the ready message by email.
            “Did you think that I could miss to surprise you?” – he laughed. – “I hope it had arrived safely and the flowers are not ready for a salad.”
            “In contrary, it is perfect. It’s very nice...”
            “Great! I was afraid they would resemble nothing sent in this way – in a box, by a courier.”
            “No, they’re perfect but... ha... you’re writing about some present in the card?”
            “Yep...” – he grinned.
            “And what is it?”
            “Obviously, you haven’t opened your email yet.”
            “Why?”
            “Ha-ha-ha... well, I don’t know, you’ll have to find out by yourself.”
            His phone rang again ten minutes later.
            “A great greeting” – she was laughing. – “You managed well.”
            “Well? Just well?” – he pretended to be offended. – “I thought I had managed perfectly and that Mark Knopfler could easily eat his heart out.”
            “Sure, he could, he should throw his guitar away and never sing anymore. How did you do it?”
            “Well, I just recorded myself and installed my voice to the melody with a program. If only you knew how much I wondered which song to choose... it wasn’t the best one, which I wanted but I managed to find just a few instrumentals that I liked. I wanted it to be some tender, fresh... well, some just for you – a cool one. However, you should know how much I laughed while I was recording it!”
            “I can imagine. Surely, it was a big game?”
            “Not so much. I’m going to come to your office for your name day and to sing it personally.”
            “Don’t you dare!” – she burst out laughing.
            “Why not? I’ll even be in a bigger hat and who knows – we might earn some money for dinner.”
            “And then everybody in the office will prying into me?”
            “You just point me that one who dares joke with you and I’m going to sing some metal song to him. He won’t dare utter anymore.”
            “And I’ll be unemployed...”
            “Are they crazy? Even if you don’t do anything, it’s enough to beautify their office and they should keep you and even pay double to you!”
            “Flatterer!” – she was laughing. – “I’ll have to hang up. No way, work...”
            “It’s pity. I wish I was closer to you to bring the flowers by myself and to hug you...”
            “Hey, stop daydreaming” – she chuckled.
            “Why not? I’ll daydream!” – he laughed in an answer.
            When they hung up, he stood up and gazed through the window. He kept smiling satisfied with the fact that he had made her feel special what she in fact was. They were in different cities and rarely had the opportunity to see each other but he would always be grateful to the destiny that he had met her. 

~~~~~~~~~
Translated by: Vessislava Savova

No comments: